Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Had some stalling lately at stop signs or lights; dropped off SEN at the local shop to diagnose the problem. Apparently the AFM failed so had a used one installed. Friday of last week I picked up the van after having replaced the gas tank, fuel filter, tank seals, catalytic converter and used Air Flow Meter with Tantulum capacitor. Drove home, changed oil for first time since engine overhaul, then drove downtown and experienced the same "Vanagon syndrome" symtoms of stalling out. ...So back in the shop; Apparently the used AFM failed too as well as my Idle Control Module. Also, in diagnosing the running problem it was determined that my Ignition coil was way too hot to touch and as a preventative measure I had that replaced too. Also had the Go Westy Transmission cooler installed, alleviating any fear that the original unit could fail and toast both my newly rebuilt engine and transmission.
Wednesday, July 13, 2016
Friday, July 8, 2016
I had my first set of CV joints replaced after I had one showing failure on a road trip in April 2010. At the time I didn't realize that I had the cheap, Chinese version of axel and cv joints (assembled unit) installed. I then, also had the other side replaced that summer as a preventative maintenance measure. Both, unfortunately, were of the cost efficient, but cheaply built Chinese CV joints. Recently I had both sets of joints replaced with the German OEM joints. I couldn't stand the constant faint clicking from one or more of the relatively new joints... Never, ever cheap out if you don't like unnecessary annoying noises in your Vanagon!
Recently added the South African style mudflaps. These came from CP1 Imports in Vancouver and come with very poor instructions for the front set and no instructions for the rear. The front set use three clips to hold the flap to the wheel well. I was very sceptical about these clips staying in place on rough roads. So far, however they have not fallen off, even after travelling about 25 miles over very rough logging road. I may still, use some silicon or epoxy to reenforce the holding power of these clips for my own reassurance.
I decided to remove my air conditioning from the van; Since I've owned SEN, the A/C has not worked and I have never regularly needed it. There is quite a weight savings from removing the various components and best of all, I've gained some much needed storage space above the rear bench seat. There is a routed groove that remains where the plastic a/c ducting sat against the vertical panel. I saved the rubber seal that joined the plastic ducting with the wood panel and warmed it up, placed it back in, in reverse order to cover up the routed groove the best I could. Not having door on this storage compartment has proven, so far, not to be an issue. I also replaced the rear vented (grated) wall that originally protected the condenser. This serves to separate items like my car jack and jumper cables from more delicate items in the forward section such as clothes or games, etc.
Engine rebuild has been postponed no longer; I finally bit the bullet and committed to having the engine done. Glen's small car parts and repairs ltd. did the work and other than taking five time longer than originally quoted, it was done right and thorough.
Various components changed include the following:
-4 Connector rod bushings,
-Coolant pipe, Coolant hose from cooler to pump,
Oil Cooler & seal,
1 Rod bearing,
Heavy duty oil pump,
1 piston & cylinder,
Camshaft, cam bearing kit,
Thermostat housing kit & thermostat,
Oil pressure switch,
Exhaust flange gasket,
4 motor mounts.