Propex heater installed and fridge removal

 I purchased a Propex HS2000 from frankcondelli.com and removed my Dometic fridge.  After 11 years of inconsistent lighting/staying lit fridge performance, I decided to free up some space for storage and construct some well needed shelves.  My fridge has had plenty enough attention throughout the years, with upgrades such as the pump mod, new igniter, new electrode wire, cleaned and resealed burner canister, internal and external fans installed, etc.  Unfortunately it was never reliable;  It often didn’t continue to stay lit after two solid days of running and would not re-light.  A cooler with a block of ice proved much more reliable so it was time for the fridge to leave!  Placement of a Propex heater is a controversial subject among van owners.  There are all sorts of various locations where they’ve been installed but for me, I wanted hot air to rise as close to the front of the bench seat/bed as possible.  Also I wanted access to the heater unit if there ever was a reason to open it up to do a reset or other maintenance. Under the bench seat wasn’t going to work for me only because I prioritized space there for a subwoofer and the space beside that, was reserved for other gear that fits well in that spot.  I wanted the venting grill below the fridge to stay intact and useful as heater intake so needed to ensure that the unit was raised just the right amount.  The heater outlet needed to be just high enough to reach the provided plastic diverter unit and the fore/aft measurements also needed to be just right in order for the door to still be able to close.  The trickiest part might have been getting the plastic vent grill into the door where it lined up accurately to the heater outlet.  All worked out and it’s a pretty clean looking install.


Comments

Popular Posts