Radiator baffles

The original cardboard Radiator baffles in my van are missing which is pretty standard for any van of this vintage.  I was told about this website that has templates for printout:  

http://andrewvanis.com/Vanagon/radiator_baffles/Other%20Files/

I was originally thinking of using either HDPE plastic like GoWesty uses in their baffles or perhaps tin that would be easy to bend and cut.  In search of the plastic however, Industrial plastics seem to indicate that it was hard to acquire.  They steered me towards the local auto parts store and I bought a sheet of aluminum gasket material.  It looks like it'll manage the heat of a radiator just fine and was easy to cut with a pair of tin snips.  I made the mistake however when tracing out the pattern by not flipping the template in order to make a mirror image instead of two identical pieces.  One piece will have to sit with cardboard backing facing the radiator while the other piece has it's aluminum profile facing the radiator.  The right baffle still needs a hole for the radiator fan switch and wires 
The bottom piece in the GoWesty kit wasn't needed in my van as I had previously made a plastic one that is holding up fine.




These pictures showing the headlight wire loom raised slightly to match the cut out on the baffle prevented me from installing the grill;  I removed the clear rubber sheath and just bent the baffle down a bit in order to let the wires lay lower and closer to where there originally were.  This allowed the grill to fit properly again.







Comments

Popular Posts